Welcome to Gregory House

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We hope you'll enjoy your stay... forever...

+5
Becca-chan
fghh
Oos
SonicHearts
supercomputer276
9 posters

Tales of the Last Train

Oos
    Oos

Tales of the Last Train - Page 2 Empty Re: Tales of the Last Train

Post by Oos Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:32 am

Siren perked up a little at the offer. "Really? Well. Who am I to refuse a free drink, huh? I think that's pretty good compensation for what you did." she sneered, her hands on her hips and a broad grin across her face, which faltered only for a moment. "....a squirrel is offering to buy me a drink to replace the one I lost off the back of the train car. Can't exactly say this is a situation I've ever been in before."
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Heather smiled nervously. This girl certainly seemed a bit intimidating. She obviously stood with more confidence than the nervous squirrel and human next to her. But she had to agree with her statement. This situation definitively wasn't a normal one.

"Right, now that that's settled." She quickly grabbed the railings as she joined the two outside, "Let's go before we fall off or something." Quickly she crossed to the next door, throwing it open and clinging to the wall inside the car.

Although this was one of her rare times on a train, she didn't like the thought of what could happen crossing to each car at the speed this train went. It was just too nerve racking to her, and her nerves were never friendly to her to begin with.

When she let her heart settle for a moment, she took notice to the new car. Instead of usual seats, it was lined with, surprisingly, very formal tables and decorations. Like in a style of a very nice restaurant.
    Somehow, she didn't expect this.

She also had expected to see other passengers. From where she was standing, she couldn't see any. Maybe it was pass lunch time?
    She couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Deciding to not answer miss two since miss one did well enough, the Artist continued into the next car. "...Oh, the dining car was this close? I thought it was further down. Well, that's certainly convenient." He walked further inside and looked around. "Hm... This looks like a good table," he noted, sitting at one of the table-clothed ones with four seats, against a window showing the landscape passing by and facing in the same direction as the train's movement.
    Becca-chan
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Inside the dining car, there sat a bandaged female dog sitting at a table with what appeared to be a little human girl.
    There were both dining on some food that ( to be honest) looked very red, perhaps a little *too* red for comfort.
    But judging by their reactions to it, it was in fact delicious.

" Mmmm~ the chef has really outdone himself this time" the dog woman said with a happy sigh.
    " This red meat is delicious"

" Want more!" The little girl sitting next to the dog exclaimed, waving her chubby little arms about.

" Now, now Iggy, you shouldn't eat too much; it could give you a tummy ache" the dog said as she then looked up, something catching out the corner of her eye.
    " Oh hello there!" she called out to the newcomers.
    " Do take a seat, it's nice to see more people here!"
    Oos
    Oos

Post by Oos Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:09 am

Siren sniffed the air, making a slightly irked face when she caught a whiff of the scent of the meat.

"...what is UP with that meat? Something seems kinda off with it. I've never seen meat that red before, and it's got a strange smell..." she muttered, folding her arms as she usually did. "If this is like....Sweeney Todd on a train? I am so out of here."
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:15 am

"Huh?" Since the Artist was facing away, he turned in his seat to see the dog sitting there. "Oh sorry miss, I didn't see you there." As an aside, he added, "Man, I'm not seeing a lot of people tonight..."
    Becca-chan
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:18 am

Mama Dog looked somewhat puzzled by Siren's reaction to the meat, she tilted her head to the side slightly.
    " Oh? as far as I know, this is the chef's daily special...I think he called it 'Mystery Red Meat' and with good reason, I can't even decipher what kind of meat this is"

Looking over to the Artist, Mama Dog gave a nod of hello to him.
    " I have to admit, you three are the first me and Iggy have seen in quite a while; we had some guests aboard last week, although they mysteriously disappeared"

" Uncle Gregory said that they'd reached their destination" The little girl piped up.
    " Mr. Chef also got more food last week, he said that it was a rare deli...delic...erm..." she stumbled on her words slightly, looking slightly unsure how to pronounce the word she was looking for.

" Delicacies" Mama Dog answered for the little girl.
    " And as rare as it is, you should try some~ the Chef is very partial to his cooking"
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:33 pm

The Artist chuckled. "He does what he must, doesn't he? Just as we all do. Shame I won't be able to sample it; I require only a drink to help me relax after a particularly stressful painting session." From the look on his face, however, one might be able to tell he wasn't all that fond of the red meat.

He pulled his glance away to look at Siren. "Um, who's Sweeney Todd?"
    Oos
    Oos

Post by Oos Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:36 pm

Siren scoffed. "Are you kidding me? Only one of the greatest stage musicals of all time! Pff, some artist you are."

When she heard Mama Dog's explanation of the meat, she made another disgusted face. "....mystery? Yeah, that bodes REAL well, lemme tell you."
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:29 am

He recoiled a little, feeling slightly hurt by her biting comment. "I-I'm more of a painter than a... music... guy..." he said feebly in his defense.

At around that time, the door opposite the one the three newcomers came in opened and in walked in a small figure. What appeared to be a male who only came up to Heather's waist, but it wasn't easy to tell because he was wearing a black hat and his face was completely obscured by a black veil; the only part visible was a pair of glowing red eyes. He was dressed a black cloak and shoes and carrying a little waiter's pad and pen.

"Ah, the waiter, right...?" the Artist mentioned offhandedly.

The Prompter started walking slowly up the car towards the still-standing humans.
    Oos
    Oos

Post by Oos Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:49 am

"About time! My god, this dining car is incredibly understaffed and poorly run if it takes that long for someone to come take our order!" Siren snapped, taking a seat by plunking herself down in one of the designated seats.
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:53 am

Heather had been silent, watching the conversations being exchanged. She knew she should of expected other creatures, but again she was naturally stunned into silence. She wondered how this little girl was so calm. Then again, she was a child.

Heather was also an observer. She watched and listened, not really feeling she had anything herself to add to what was going on. Other than the thinking that she knew of Sweeney Todd, and had still been meaning to watch the thing. All of her friends at home would mention it or talk about it from time to time and it made her interesting to see it herself. She just hadn't found the time or motivation, much like everything she intends to ever do in her life.

She was also watching that strange meat curiously. The teen worked at a restaurant part time, and was pretty aware of what should be eatable and what shouldn't be served for a customer's safety... this "meat" did not look safe. In fact, to her eyes and imagination... it looked it was bleeding. It made her nearly queezy just looking at it. Good thing she wasn't hungry, because she would most certainly loose her appetite.

She was about to say something to help defend the artist from the other female's retort, when her attention was also drawn to the opening door.
    She stared at the new figure, finding it's appearance something, well, spooky. She couldn't help but back up a step or two, bringing herself more next to her fellow human as a comfort zone.
    Her mind began to wonder slightly, thinking that if there were more than just animal like creatures here, but some other type of creatures... just what kind of creatures were there...?

When the other girl sat down, Heather followed suite, only instead sitting opposite of The Artist at his table. Something about sitting with someone who wasn't afraid to shoot their mouth off just made her think it might be best to sit at a table who was just as intimidated as the teen herself was.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:44 am

(Wait, I'm confused; is Siren sitting at the same table as Artist and Heather?)

The Prompter went straight for the Artist's and Heather's table, where it turned it's head towards the Artist first.

"I'll have a mug of steaming hot chocolate," he told the figure before turning back to his dining companion. "Perfect thing to warm the soul on a cold night like this, don't cha think?"

The Prompter, meanwhile, had diverted his gaze to his notebook to jot down the order before turning to Heather.
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:52 am

(Iiiii wasn't sure. It wasn't mentioned so I just assumed ah... sorry for being confusing ><; I just figured since she made no indication it was kind of up in the air. And I found the image funny in my head of her just ruling over her own table;;; )

Heather continued to obverse the new 'face' in silence, before shortly giving her attention to the Artist on his remark. She had to agree, though she had not taken much notice to the weather until he mentioned it. On a speedy train it could surely feel cold. And this train did have an odd temperature about it; at least, that's just the first thing she thought of on hearing the word 'souls.' Like ghost, you can't help but associate them to the cold.

Warm the soul... Hmm, odd saying she wasn't use to, but whatever works she supposed.

When the 'waiter' turned it's attention to Heather, she stumbled a moment, not really sure what to have herself. "O-oh, um... Just a water, please?"
    She wasn't much in the mood for anything else. She figured an ice cold drink would calm her nerves a bit and help to clear her mind. Everything was still hard to process.

When the server turned away from her, the girl leaned over the table slightly to whisper to the squirrel, "Not to sound rude or anything but... what is he?" She motioned to the waiter as he went to another table. It looked like a kind of thing you'd see at a funeral, not a restaurant.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:23 am

(I'm just gonna assume she's at a different table. I wouldn't necessarily find it surprising so far either.)

The Prompter gave its head a little shake as it again looked to the notebook and jotted down the order.

As it went to attend to Siren, the Artist listened to his companion's whispers. "I'm not sure, really," he whispered back. "No one really pays them too much mind; they just... help out around here."
    Becca-chan
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:54 am

Mama Dog just sat enjoying the rest of her meal, since she was a dog, she didn't mind what kind of meat she was eating as long as it was...well...meat; although she then jerked her head up as if suddenly remembering something and whipped a pocket-watch out of one of the back pockets of her dress.

Opening it up, she then checked the time, it appeared to be approaching midnight; the witching hour as it was called.
    " Hmmm...is it coming up for the rush hour already?" she muttered to herself before glancing out the window.
    She had been on the train long enough to learn the timetables that this old train followed...it was always very precise, just like the old mouse it belonged to.

Looking to Siren, Heather and the Artist, Mama Dog spoke up.
    " It looks like you three got to your tables just in time, we'll be going into the rush hour very shortly, some more passengers should be arriving soon"

Iggy looked up at Mama Dog for a split second before smiling and pressing her face up against the window.
    " Oooooh! I like this part, keep watching for the pretty lights~!"
    Oos
    Oos

Post by Oos Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:12 pm

"Finally!" Siren sighed, looking in the direction of the Prompter. "Do you know how long we've been waiting?!"

She looked at the menu, skimming it quickly before finding something she liked. Folding the menu back up, she spoke in her usual impatient and entitled tone.

"....in any case, I'll have the roast turkey dinner and a Tequila Sunrise. And hurry it up, will you? I'm starving."
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:46 pm

(I'll leave the details of the "rush hour" to you, Becca. Although if I recall the opening lines of the series correctly, I think I may know what it is...)

The Prompter jotted down the last orders before making its way back to the kitchen.

"'Rush hour'...?" the Artist thought aloud. Noticing the little girl was looking up against the window, he turned his attention to his own window, looking out at the dark scrubland landscape. He emitted a deep sigh.
    Becca-chan
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:04 pm

(( Okie dokie, I just hope that I write it out right like I pictured in my mind since it's around 12: 37 am here and my eyes are stinging like crazy.
    I just hope you guys don't mind me moving things along just a little bit ^^; ))

For a few seconds, the barren landscape outside the train was still; nothing moved, nothing could be heard other than the sound of the train as it puffed out smoke.
    There wasn't really much to see, so it was a wonder why Mama Dog and Iggy were so intent on looking out the windows.

All of a sudden, a shrill whistle echoed through the air; almost like someone was signalling for something to come along.
    Less than a few seconds passed and it seemed that something was finally happening out there.

Trees began to sway to and fro, as if waving on something's approach and faint mysterious lights began to appear over the horizon.
    They appeared to drift closer to the train and the closer they got, the brighter they became.

They appeared to be floating lights, all different colours, going at different speeds.
    Some hurried along as if to say " I'm late! I'm late!" while others floated along slowly as if they were in a much calmer frame of mind.

The lights floated past the windows of the train, their appearance almost seeming like a miniture meteor shower to whoever was watching them.

" They're so pretty!" Iggy exclaimed, jumping up and down on her chair; her eyes wide with awe, even though she'd most likely seen the lights before, she obviously enjoyed their presence.
    " Do you think if I was to catch one, they'd grant wishes?"

Mama Dog just laughed softly in response to that and gave a small shake of her head.
    " Don't be silly Iggy, you wouldn't be able to catch one of those; they'd slip right past your fingers, just like fishes"

The young woman dog glanced out the window to watch the show of passing lights.
    " This is the rush hour" she explained to the newcomers.
    " Those souls are on their way to somewhere that will allow them to leave all their worries behind them...of course they need to take the train before they can do that"

She gave a slight sad smile as her mind briefly thought about something before she focused on the present again.
    " It's kind of like what I'm doing, so I can understand their reasons for coming here; that's what everyone on this train is doing"
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:08 pm

(Well, not quite what I was expecting. But then again, that's what makes it interesting.

For fourth-wall flavor, the Chef's voice is presented in the free Ravenscroft font, available here. Sadly, my initial choice, "Creepy," is not free. I intend only to use it for special circumstances for when the Chef, or others, get sufficiently scary.)

The Artist was barely listening, captivated by the myriad of lights streaking by outside. "Whoa..." he said with wonderment, rather quietly but still audible. "This sight... It's... beautiful..."

His demeanor then took a quick 180 as he suddenly gave a shout of anger and slammed his fist against the sturdy glass.

"It's beautiful and I can't capture it!" He leaned his head against the window, eyes closed, and started silently sobbing.

It was about then there was the sound of falling and clattering pots and pans from the kitchen. This was followed by a furious yell of a less-than-friendly voice. "ONLY A CUP OF WATER?!"
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:53 pm

Heather, too, had directed her attention to the window, curious of what this "rush hour" could be.
    As they waited for something to happen, she began to wonder if maybe it would be cars, more passing trains? Maybe they were near a city and it was just too dark to see it? Would the lights of the city waking up come on? Maybe they were coming to another train station-- finally-- and would pick up people who actually needed this train to get somewhere. Then she could finally get off and figure out a way to get home.

That's when it began. Lights did come into view, but not the lights she had been expecting.
    She watched in amazement as the lights glowed and danced by the windows. She had to agree with the young girl. They were dazzling. But just what were they, she wondered.

The teen felt so entranced by the display outside the train, she almost didn't catch Mama Dog's words.

"...wait.." She felt a chill run through her. "Did you just say... souls?"
    Her eyes darted back to the 'lights' outside. Those were souls? How was that possible?
    She listened carefully, stiffly, as the dog carried on. The souls took the... She didn't mean this train, did she? This train. The one they were on right now?

Before the girl could completely grasp what was being said, she was distracted by the Artist's outburst.
    She wanted to think of something encouraging to say, but her heart was already growing faster in rate from what the dog had said as she tried to fit the pieces together.

That's when she the sound of falling pottery caused her to literally jump to her feet in fright. Her nerves having made it easy for her to be started, but hearing that voice her blood then ran cold.

Why did she have the feeling she was in some deep trouble?
    Oos
    Oos

Post by Oos Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Siren watched the lights go by, transfixed on their pale glow.

"Ooooh.....sparkly. I want one!" she murmured. But her entrancement was soon interrupted by the shout from the kitchen. She paused for a moment, staring at the door to the kitchen, then turning to look at Heather. "...he mad."
    Becca-chan
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:33 am

Mama Dog nodded to Heather, confirming the teenagers fears.
    Although the young dog woman then tilted her head to the side slightly in a questioning manner, she'd never seen someone react badly to hearing about the souls before.
    " Are you alright, dear? you seem to be a little bit nervous"

All of a sudden, the Artist's outburst caused Mama Dog to jump slightly.
    " I-it happens every midnight, sir; you could always capture the next one" she stuttered slightly.

Shortly after that, there was then the loud shout from the kitchen.
    " Oh dear..." she mumbled, gulping nervously.
    " The chef doesn't sound too pleased..."

supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:36 am

The Artist had stopped crying and looked up at the cacophony from the kitchen and took a few moments to get over the loud shouts of the angry chef before responding. "I-It's not like that... I've already tried painting a landscape on a moving train and failed. Repeatedly. And my memory's too frazzled to paint it from it; I'll never be able to remember a satisfactory amount of detail..."

A little while later, the Prompter emerged from the kitchen carrying a mug of steaming hot chocolate. He walked over to Heather and the Artist's table and deposited the mug on the Artist's side of the table. The mug was mostly white, but with a black design on opposite sides: a mouse-eared skull.

"Ah, couldn't have arrived at a better time," the Artist commented as the Prompter hurried back to the kitchen. He picked up the mug and gave it a sip. "Ahhh..." he visibly relaxed. "That hits the spot. Nothing better for when you just need to forget your troubles."
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Oos wrote:"...he mad."
    This has me laughing every time I scroll by it. XD

Heather still stood even after the prompter left. Her eyes stayed on the door he left to, now just wondering what that outburst was even for.
    "Should I maybe..." Run? She finished in her thoughts. She shook her head, trying to clear her earlier fright from the yells. She never did like when people yelled. It always got her way too tense.

She made a mental note to make sure she'd never have to run into that chef...

Well, if nothing was happening from that, she had to get back on track to the more pressing matters.

She put her attention back on Mama Dog, her already shot nerves making her stomach turn in knots. She ran the dog's words over and over again in her head, making her become... scared. "Wait, so..." She took a forced breath, trying to calm herself down and get back on conversation. Maybe she was just over thinking. Maybe she was just being paranoid. But looking at these... creatures. This place...

"That's what everyone on this train is doing."

That rang most clearly in her mind.

"So... So you were saying... Are you saying only [i]souls[/i] get on this train..?" She half pointed at Mama Dog. "B-But..." She glanced at all of them. That couldn't be possible. She could see them. All of them! They were all physical, she knew that for sure! "That can't be possible..." She whispered to herself, fear beginning to cling to her heart as she refused to believe such a claim.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:43 am