Welcome to Gregory House

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We hope you'll enjoy your stay... forever...

+5
Becca-chan
fghh
Oos
SonicHearts
supercomputer276
9 posters

Tales of the Last Train

supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Tales of the Last Train Empty Tales of the Last Train

Post by supercomputer276 Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:11 am

"So... you travel?"
    "I suppose you could call it a journey."

Character Usage Guidelines:
    1. You may use any original character you created in the Profiles board.

2. Control of Canon characters, if any, defaults to me. If you want to control a Canon, you may ask in this roleplay's "PITCH" topic in the OOC board. You can also ask if you want a particular Canon to appear, even if you don't want to control it.

On Plot:
    There is no overarching plot in mind at this moment, so unless it's extreme or violates forum or RP board rules, feel free to do whatever so long as it is on the train. Details on the train (like how many cars) change as they become relevant to the plot. This roleplay will continue indefinitely unless prematurely terminated.

Let the show begin!

The sound of a train whistle filled the still night air as the large engine ran down the tracks. The landscape surrounding the train was barren, dry scrubland, not quite desert and not quite plains, but somewhere in the middle. A line of telephone poles ran along the starboard side, standing tall like soldiers standing at attention. In the distance, mountain peeks silhouetted against the starry sky, a large full moon shining over the scene.

For the last train Ambition, it was another night, another run, another dollar.

"ARRGH!"

In frustration, the brown-orange squirrel in a beret and paint-splattered smock threw the paint-covered canvas down the length of the empty passenger car. The canvas landed on top of a pile of similar canvases in the corner.

"Who knew painting a landscape on a moving train would be so difficult?!" the squirrel, known as the Overworked Artist, shouted to no one. He stood slumped in the aisle, his fury slowly subsiding. "Calm... Breathe..."
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Tales of the Last Train Empty Re: Tales of the Last Train

Post by SonicHearts Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:24 am

Just where is everybody?

The girl continued to ponder and ponder this thought as she walked down the empty passenger car. Having no recollection of how she got onto this odd train, the whereabouts of the other passengers should of been the least of her worries. In fact, she couldn't remember much of anything before waking up here. Besides being on her way home. However, as she kept glancing out the window, this was defiantly not the way home.

Granted, she did live in a wasteland of a town, but this was something of a stretch from that. Not to mention it was dark. That wasn't a helpful sign either. And where were all the stops? Just where was this train going?

It didn't make much of a difference, as far as the girl's better judgement was concerned. It still wasn't where she was meant to be, and it wasn't allowing cell signals. This could only lead to bad things. Or maybe something good, if you wanted to look at it as an adventure... but where would she sleep?! Ah! Too many negatives!
    Oos
    Oos

Post by Oos Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:19 am

Ill Siren was standing on the little platform between train cars, facing away from the destination of the train. She had a strawberry daiquiri in one hand that she didn't remember getting, but it was delicious all the same. She slurped at it as she watched the train go over the tracks.

Where was the train even going...? She didn't know, and frankly she didn't care. Siren didn't get out much, at least not lately, so the idea of a train going anywhere but where she was seemed like a great idea. At least, at the time.

"Ah, hell." She muttered, her hair getting blown in her face for the umpteenth time. "Don't make me tie you back, hair, I'll do it."
    fghh
    fghh

Post by fghh Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:17 am

In the storage car, Magician Rabbit wheeled out his two magic boxes, before stuffing a manniquin into one of them. He then turned to his makeshift audience: some luggage piled up in the corner.

Okay, this is just a rehersal, you can do this. he thought to himself as he tried to push down his nerves.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the show!" he said quietly, so as not to disturb anyone in the other cars. "Tonight I shall be performing my signature trick, the teleporting boxes! Watch in amazement, as I teleport my assistant from one box to the other by magic!"

He stepped towards the boxes and started tapping the sides to show there was no other way out. But as soon as he did so, a loud BANG! came from the first box, along with some smoke seeping out.

"Oh, not again, not again." he muttered as he opened the boxes. Sure enough, the manniquin was in the other box...in pieces. He gave a brief sigh before he shut the boxes and exited the car, heading back to his seat.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:15 pm

(When a train's as big as it needs to be, it doesn't mean that you'll run into anybody. Thus the reason for my delay; nobody ran into my character to bounce off of, so to speak.)

The Artist, deciding that a drink from the dining car would help him soothe his nerves and his temper, threw the door shut behind him as he moved to the next car down. He was looking at the floor and clutching at his forehead as if he had a headache, mumbling something in an upset tone.

Because of this, he wasn't looking where he was going, and he didn't know the girl that was wandering around the train (by which I mean SH's character, to be clear) was in the aisle until he bumped into her. He was, however, quick to react, looking up to see what he had run into. "Oh sorry, sorry," he quickly apologized, backing up a step to give her space.
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:12 pm

(Blaaaah sorry for a the delay >< Hope this is good enough D: )

The loneliness was oddly deafening to her. Other than the sound of the train itself, it was very.. quiet. And that just crept her out more. She couldn't help but find a sort of fascination with the ceiling. It was strangely high-- then again, she didn't have much to compare to since she had never been on a real train before today. However, emergencies had called for it. But back on topic; she couldn't help but find it odd just how big the size and height was. Were all trains really like this? Sure, you could always use more room, but not even airplanes accommodate that well. And would't it be just special cars for a train to be bigger than the rest, she pondered curiously, like show cars, or dinning cars, or... something like that?

It was as if this train-- or maybe just this car?-- wasn't meant for average human heights.

As she kept swimming this around in her head, she felt herself collide with something-- or someone. "Gah! I'm sorry! Excuse me..." Their voices intermingled as she looked at the ground, collecting herself. Wait... A voice! Another living soul on this empty, creepy train! Now maybe she could ask what was going--

"...."

As she looked up at her "other living soul," she noticed something that shocked her into silence. It wasn't human. It was furry and animal like, and towered somewhat over her. If her brain were processing, she'd make the realization as to why the cars were so big.
    But for now, she stared. Unsure if she feel horror, amazed, if she should run, excited? Terrified?
    None seemed to be happening as she just stared, wide eyed, mouth open, a look of shock on her face.

Not even a minute went by, though, until she screamed in her surprise. "WAAAHHH!!" She jumped back, stumbling and clinging to one of the seats for balance as she tried to make some distance between her and the... Whatever it was. "Wha... WHAT ARE YOU!" She pointed an accused finger, shouting louder than she had meant to.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:17 pm

(Funny, I never thought of the Artist being particularly bigger than the average human... If anything, he'd be a little smaller.)

The Artist looked at the woman he had bumped into in silence. He had expected something along the lines of "oh that's alright, no harm done." Not the drop-jaw wide-eyed look he was now getting from her. After a few awkward moments, he was beginning to wonder if she was alright. "Um... hello?"

Then she screamed.

"GAAAAHHH!" Caught completely off guard by the loud noise, he quickly stumbled back from her from surprise. He kept going until he tripped on the corner of a seat and fell to the floor; he would later consider himself lucky he didn't hit his head on the seat in front of the one he tripped on somehow. "Ow ow ow..." he muttered, lying on the ground a bit, cradling himself and making sure he wasn't too badly hurt. He could only feel a couple of bruises, though he could feel a small cut on the back of his leg under his smock.

Thankfully, his position on the floor muffled the woman's loud demand, limiting the damage to his sensitive ears. After verifying he was well enough to move, he made use of the seat to pull himself back up. He coughed a little before responding. "I'm a squirrel, miss," said, sounding a little quieter than normal. "I'd have thought the tail would be a dead giveaway." He wiggled his large fluffy tail, which had escaped from the fall unharmed, a little to demonstrate.
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:04 am

(Some people have different preferences of what they see as "average height", I was just showing how mine sees it. At least with the ceiling. I didn't mean to make yours sound taller than he is, I just try and write more from train of thought, so to speak XP Sorry, I suck.)

She just couldn't believe her eyes. He wasn't... but he was! "But... How?!" She was dreaming. She had to be. Any moment now she'd wake up, right? She gave herself a small pinch. Nope, nothing.

She eye'd the squirrel carefully. She had to calm down. Calm. How could she be calm? She was on a strange train, going who knows where, and there's a giant.. Squirrel talking to her! She clung to the seat next to her, her heart still pounding hard from the shock.

"Just who are you?"
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:11 am

He got back to his feet and gave his back a quick crack before turning to her. "Me? Well, everyone calls me the Artist. Given I do a lot of painting and creative stuff, it sounds appropriate. ...You looked freaked out about something. You feeling alright?"
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:43 am

She watched his with uncertainty as he got up, not sure if she should be prepared to run or not. He wasn't acting hostile, so she felt a slight bit more at ease. In fact, she was now taking a moment to observe him.

The Artist? Well, he certainly looked the part.
    "Me? Well, I'm not sure. I mean, ya know," She loosened her grip on the chair with a shrug, still not able to look away from the creature, "You're not exactly..." she waved her right arm in a sort of circle, wondering if she should point out the obvious, "...human. I think me being freaked out is an appropriated response.."

She then paused. "wait... Did you say you're an artist?" Her brain had finally caught up to the name. "Like, a real one? Who knows how to paint, realism, abstracts, color blend-- that kind of artist?" She forgot her shock completely in the thought of it all, suddenly a bit excited. Being a novice artist herself, she loved meeting others of the same interest.
    "I draw too! Though, not very well, never had training or any real schooling of the sort, but I guess I do decent enough." She began to ramble, completely forgetting the situation at hand for the moment. She then took a step forward, now fully engulfed with her favorite profession, "Do you have any with you? Could I see?" Maybe it would be best if she actually got to know the guy first... She never really thought socializing through.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:59 am

The Artist had started to answer her initial question with, "Well I do portraits usually-" but stopped when she started going a mile a minute. "Whoa whoa, slow down, miss," he said, stepping back a little, "Yeah, it is that kind of artist, I think. I left all my finished works at home, though, sorry. I've tried working on a new piece on the train, but..." He gave off a grunt. "Every try's been a failure..."
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:23 am

She noted the frustration in his voice, "Ah... Artist block? Yeah, those suck." She forced a chuckle, trying to make it not sound so bad. "Maybe you just need... um..." She looked around, hoping to find an answer. "...Music! Some of the best artist I know use music for inspiration!" She declared encouragingly. "Maybe that can help?"

She understood the frustrations of art block. It was never helpful for anyone, and she always felt bad when her friends would get it too. Maybe for once so could suggest something helpful?
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:09 am

"A-Actually," the Artist corrected, "it's not so much lack of inspiration as... well, the impracticality of trying to paint a landscape on a moving train, as I've recently discovered." He chuckled a little. "...Ah, which reminds me, I was heading down to the dining car to have a drink to calm my nerves. Would you care to join me?"
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:52 pm

"Oh.." She gave a sheepish grin. Guess moving scenery would cause a problem.

She took a moment to consider his offer. Even though she felt more relaxed now, could she trust him? After all, she knew nothing about him and he wasn't, as said before, human. She felt she couldn't trust ever corner of the train itself, but... He was really nice, and he did seem to know his way around. Better to be with someone who's familiar with their surroundings than alone and lost, right?

"Sure," She nodded, "I was meaning to try and look around anyway." She smiled.

As she began to follow the squirrel, more questions swam through her mind. "So... do you know where this thing is going?" It was unsettling. To be on transportation and not knowing where you'll end up. Hopefully it was going to another station where she could find the right train and get home before her family threw a fit.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:36 pm

The Artist spoke has continued to head down the train towards the dining car.

"Actually, no. I've only heard rumors, but no one knows what's at 'the end of the line.' And not the last stop either, the actual end of the tracks. I've heard that at the last stop, everyone gets off, including the crew, and then the train continues onwards by itself to... somewhere, just as the sun's rising. And the following night, at the city at the head of the line, the train comes in from nowhere again, and the cycle continues. ...Funny, my memory isn't usually this sharp. It can be rather selective at times..."
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:28 pm

She listened, finding shivers go down her spine. "Wow... that's certainly not creepy." She responded sarcastically. A train that goes on forever. Talk about a ghost story, and she was never a fan of those.
    However, she was curious about it. There must be someone who still made it go after everyone was gone. And why does everyone get off at the last stop? Granted by it's name, but surely you'd still need staff to keep a train running, right?

In fact... where was the staff? She hadn't seen anyone since she awoke from her "nap." Maybe they didn't want to disturb her and left for other assignments... maybe.
    She couldn't help but glance at the Artist. Were the staff maybe... other creatures like him? If that was to be true then... why was she the only human?
    At least as far as she knows. But still.. why?

She laughed a bit at his statement, "I can relate to that." Her memory wasn't always reliable, either. Especially when it counted.

Her mind wondered back to his story. Her eyes watching the ceiling as she walked, "Hmm... I wonder where this 'last stop' is..." She pondered aloud. "And I wonder if anyone has ever tried to stay on after it." Theories and paranoid thoughts ran through her mind. What if they disappear and are never seen from again! Or what if the train really could be alive and eats them?!

She wanted to share these thoughts, but thought better than to scare the guy with her thought process.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:53 pm

(To everyone else: if you want to run into us or "position" yourself so we run into you, feel free.)

"I don't think I've heard of anyone trying to stow away," the Artist replied as they made their way through another car door. "Everyone gets off at the end without question, and the crew always make sure it's empty before they get off and lock up. At least, that's what I've heard; this is the first time I've ever gotten on this train. I wonder what's at 'the end of the line'... Hm..."
    Oos
    Oos

Post by Oos Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:06 pm

((I was just waiting for them to open the car door! XD))

Bam. Suddenly a door opened right into her side, causing her to spill her daiquiri onto the tracks below. She turned with an angry glare towards the entryway.

"HEY! What the hell was that for?! You made me spill my drink!"
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:30 pm

"WHOA!" the Artist shouted out of surprise at the sound of the loud voice. His paws flew to his beret when he felt the small jump had knocked it askew, and the slight breeze wasn't helping. "S-Sorry, miss, I didn't know you were out here..."
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:43 pm

Heather peeked around the door, also having been startled by the voice. She stared at the girl-- partly from surprise and partly from confusion why anyone was riding the train from the outside-- before pointing at her. "Hey! So I'm not the only human!" She shouted, the wind and the train itself being quite loud.

Of course, she had nothing to base on that she had been the only human. She just assumed after meeting the Artist that there weren't any others.
    She looked at the squirrel, "Or maybe you're just the only Squirrel." She wondered to herself.
    Oos
    Oos

Post by Oos Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:45 pm

Siren looked confused. "What the hell are you on about? Of course you're not the only human. Well-spotted." She threw the empty glass onto the tracks, watching it shatter and disappear behind them. It was then she noticed the squirrel in the beret.

"...what in the name of Tavros Nitram are you?!" she snapped. "And why are you talking?! WHY ARE THERE TALKING ANIMALS ON THIS TRAIN?!"
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:25 am

Silence for a moment. "...Talking animals aren't normal?" He sounded genuinely confused in this manner. "A-Anyways, I'm a squirrel. Y'know, bushy tail?" He wiggled it a little.
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:37 am

She felt a ping of embarrassment from her out burst. In her defense, she didn't mean as the only human in the world or... whatever she had made it sound like. Either way, guess she sounded flaky.

"Not unless you're from a cartoon or something." She replied, looking over the Artist again. Though, granted in her own state of mind she always believed some existed out there somewhere. She just didn't expect them to be in their world.

She looked at the other female again. "Who are you and... Why are you on the outside of the train?" She spoke her concerns. It just didn't feel safe to her; hence why she refused to step beyond the door and cling to the side of the wall.

But the girl's words rang through her head again. Where there really other talking animals on the train? That's how she made it sound at least. Curiosity made her somewhat excited to see-- especially if they were like The Artist. He continues to seem nice enough, maybe she had nothing to be paranoid about after all.

In fact... positive thinking began to make this a promising adventure.
    None of her friends were ever gonna believe this.
    Oos
    Oos

Post by Oos Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:07 pm

"Why am I outside?" she repeated, as though she didn't believe the question. "So I can watch everything go flying by. It looks a whole lot more impressive from this angle. And it's kinda fun to watch the tracks as long as I don't watch them for too long. I get kinda dizzy if I do."

She looked the squirrel up and down. "So what are you, other than a woodland creature? A poet or an artist or what?" She folded her arms, looking rather irritated.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:21 am

"A-Actually, miss, I consider a poet a kind of artist, but an artist is what they call me," he replied. "The Overworked Artist, in fact." He was recovering from the slight ringing in his ears. "...W-We were heading to the dining car. M-Maybe I can treat you? Y'know, to make up for you losing your drink."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:56 am