Welcome to Gregory House

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We hope you'll enjoy your stay... forever...

2 posters

Pecola

supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Pecola Empty Pecola

Post by supercomputer276 Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:08 pm

As we very well know by now, the primary creative force behind Gregory Horror Show (if you believe the packaging, that is) is one Naomi Iwata. Wikipedia doesn't have an article about him, but it does have articles of three of his works. All of these works are CGI cartoons with the same unique boxy visual style. GHS is one of them. The second is known as Midnight Horror School, which I've only seen a title animation for on YouTube (it's been aired in Europe and Australia, though, so I'm pretty sure there are dubs, I just haven't looked), though from what I can tell from that and the Wikipedia article, it takes place in a monster private school and the twenty-six monster students get into monster private school shenanigans. While it seems more comedic (I'm actually just guessing) and less psychological than GHS, it still looks a little dark.

And then we get the OTHER side of his consciousness!

Pecola Pecolalogo

~Some say the world is round, they do, they do
    That it's flattened down, but here's some news
    If you look at it up close, at the end of your nose
    It's a great big box where dreams come true~

Pecola Pecola

Pecola is the third show that shows up on Wikipedia and is probably the one outside GHS all of us know, and is based on children's picture books Iwata had created. Nelvana is a primary production force, although I'm not sure whether it dubbed it or made it altogether. It's shown on Qubo and (apparently) Cartoon Network. Its Wikipedia page is here (though as a warning, it's a mess that's severely in need of cleanup).

Taking place in the small sleepy settlement of Cube Town on the shores of Crescent Bay, the nominal Pecola is a penguin with an inability to swim and a streak of being eager to please. To hilarious effect on our parts, he's so eager to help out, havoc ensues. With a colorful and diverse cast, each with their own running gags and unique personalities, it's a dose of good clean childish fun.

I don't know if Nelvana is holding back episodes or something, maybe it's just because I want more, but it feels like I'm missing something, and I'm fairly sure I've seen every episode that's aired on Qubo. I'm still wondering why Cori shows in a fairly large spot in the opening sequence when she only has a speaking part in like one episode (heck, I think it might be an underlying reason why the Artist is a squirrel). And of course, just who is that alligator taking pictures of everything? There's also at least five DVDs of the series, so I don't know what to think. (Well, besides of making a Pecola and GHS crossover fic. Someone's bound to write it eventually.)

Compared to the other two works, this one's as different from them as, well, night and day. Frankly, I think being able to display these two extremes in different works, both with a decent amount of quality, is sign of a very good creator. Hats off to Mr. Iwata. Also, it was because I was searching YouTube for Pecola videos that I discovered GHS, so there's that too.

(By the way, I found this while searching for images. It has something about Iwata at the bottom. Apparently the guy that wrote it knows him somehow, and there's other stuff he's worked on outside the above listed shows. Probably shouldn't bug him about the details; I just thought it would be interesting.)
    EriiMadness
    EriiMadness

Pecola Empty Re: Pecola

Post by EriiMadness Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Ahh Pecola <3 that was a nice smidgen of my childhood. I can't remember too much, but I do know that I loved the show. It had a nice atmosphere and all that :3

When I learned that Iwata actually made this show, I was actually kind of shocked XD 'cause GHS is so dark and MHS has some of those tones. The style matches, however, which is how it makes sense.

Back then Cartoon Network was probably in its glory :C I miss the times when good shows like this were actually aired.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Well it airs on Qubo now, as I've stated, so if you're in the mood to revisit your childhood, this should get you started.

Also, while I was trying to refind the official GHS site, I stumbled across the main site for Milky Cartoon, and look what they also had! They also got one for MHS as well. After we wrap up Project Another World, I should see if I can get Nil to help with translating a few things from these sites.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:24 am