Welcome to Gregory House

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We hope you'll enjoy your stay... forever...

+8
Nilgiree
CyberFox
thinkintrixxter
Oos
supercomputer276
skullvic
Becca-chan
SonicHearts
12 posters

Gregory Horror Show: Another World [Manga]

supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Gregory Horror Show: Another World [Manga] - Page 6 Empty Re: Gregory Horror Show: Another World [Manga]

Post by supercomputer276 Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:17 pm

For some reason, I didn't notice Becca's comment. I don't think Nil will mind too much if I finalize this without her, given she's on vacation. I'll add it to the PAW topic in the News board as soon as possible.

I've started on localizing chapter 3. Also finally got around to reading the translation for chapter 4. I take it the "Dried Corpse" is supposed to be a Dead Body? That's the impression I got, especially given the chapter's title. Although I'm not starting on that chapter's localization yet, this line came to mind for Gregory at the end:

G: Afraid to live and afraid to die... What's a body to do? Heh heh heh heh...
    Nilgiree
    Nilgiree

Gregory Horror Show: Another World [Manga] - Page 6 Empty Re: Gregory Horror Show: Another World [Manga]

Post by Nilgiree Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:50 am

Sorry;; I not on vacation yet actually, I'll be going around the first weekend of next month. I was just in a position where I couldn't get on the forum for a while;; I have no problem with you posting the chapter though ^^

It's safe to say it's a dead body, though going with what Gregory says, he's both. Your line sounds good, but I don't think we should think too deeply and just go with something close to the literal translations with that chapter. (thanks for making things so much easier gregory -__-)
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:27 am

Indeed he is both, but Dead Body (note the capitalization) is the name of the character the English versions gave to a corpse-like character in the anime. Series 1, episode 21. I believe this is intended to be the same character. For the localization, I intend to use the English names.

Admittedly, I probably should've split the line, since it was intended to be a localization of these lines:
    G: Being afraid of living and dying
    G: What is he suppose to do?
    Sounds like a good substitution to me, with the hint of a pun thrown in since "What's a body to do?" is a fitting idiom. GHS is sorta known, at least to me, for those mind-screwy moments. It seems fitting to me.
    Becca-chan
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:41 am

Gah, I can't believe I missed the translations for chapter 4 @.@
    I'll just download them now, although just to say that I'm fine with the pun for Dead Body, it'd be just like Gregory to throw in an idiom like that. XD

-Edit-
    I read it, I never would of thought that Dead Body was somewhat close to being a hikimori or at least someone who's highly anxious; just by the way he speaks.
    But apparently he is XD;
    Nilgiree
    Nilgiree

Post by Nilgiree Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Oh, I forgot about the character Dead Body from the show;; He looked quite different in the manga so I couldn't tell at first;; Now that you mention that, your line makes more sense to me ^w^;;
    Nilgiree
    Nilgiree

Post by Nilgiree Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:32 am

I'm going on my trip on Sunday. I might have internet access so I can visit this site, but I won't be able to download and work on anything. Is there anything you guys want me to do/check/fix before I go?
    Becca-chan
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:52 am

Nilgiree wrote:I'm going on my trip on Sunday. I might have internet access so I can visit this site, but I won't be able to download and work on anything. Is there anything you guys want me to do/check/fix before I go?

As far as I know, none come to mind so far; everything looks fine.
    And also, I wish you luck on your trip, have fun!
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Yeah, I do believe there's nothing further you can do right now. Not until I finish the chapter 3 localization at any rate, which I haven't worked on recently because my other project does have a deadline.

Same from me, Nil. Have fun!
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:19 am

Chapter 3 localization finished! I managed to get the rest of it out while my laptop's backlights decided to be on for a while and I had two working screens, allowing me to easily type and look at the scanned version for reference on the action at the same time.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

However, I don't have much confidence in this version's strength, particularly near the end. A more detailed read-through and critique will be appreciated.
    AlgusUnderdunk

Post by AlgusUnderdunk Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Just as a side comment, I always felt that Gregory's distinctive chuckle came across more as a series of low hums than a laugh. Whenever I describe it to my friends, I use "hm hm hm" for it. Just a suggestion. Love the translation! Keep up the excellent work!
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:21 pm

While waiting for feedback on chapter 3's localization, I went ahead and went through chapter 4. After doing this, I think I need to refine a few lines in chapter 3 concerning localization of the term "ideals."

Nilgiree
    Nilgiree

Post by Nilgiree Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:55 pm

Hey guys! I finally got Internet here, and although I still wont be able to clean the pages until I get back home, I downloaded the localizations.

Chap 3
    The quote on pg 71, I feel like it should be 'currently being served' rather than 'being currently served.' The original does work but it sounds a little odd, but it might be just me not used to being said that way.
    On page 62, as you said, I think you should re-look on the term 'ideal' a little more. I think Gregory is saying something along the lines of the residents being their ideals, rather than just knowing what they want.

And as far as I see, there's nothing wrong with chapter 4. But I noticed that the thought bubble near Tooru in last panel in the first page is hard to see. Should that page be rescanned?
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:12 pm

@AlgusUnderdunk: Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier. I can see that, but changing it in the middle like this I fear would confuse people, plus changing it to match in the previous two chapters would take quite a bit of work, especially on the first chapter. Nonetheless, thanks for your input and be sure to leave a comment or two in the Project Another World topic in the News board!

@Nilgiree: I don't know how I missed that first one. It happens whenever I'm writing something and don't read it out loud to see how it sounds.

Concerning "ideals," I can see that. Hm... Do you think it would work if we used a different word besides "ideal?" Like, say, "goal?" Because a goal besides finding his dream, essentially another goal, is something Tooru clearly lacks. Maybe I'm just saying that because I feel I can relate, I dunno.

None of the chapter 4 balloons seems obscured to me and I don't think we need a rescan.
    CyberFox
    CyberFox

Post by CyberFox Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:19 pm

a neat idea
    Why not make an animated series based on the manga
    for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:36 pm

CyberFox wrote:a neat idea
    Why not make an animated series based on the manga
    for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

With the style and effects for dramatics the manga takes... that'd be veeery hard. XP Especially for untrained animators.
    Seriously, animation is nothing of an easy task. 'Specially for the quality in demand for GHS in order to keep it's atmosphere.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Agreed. The only reason my other project, using Flash 8, looks half decent is because the entire thing is mostly text. I'm sure if someone wants to animate the manga, that'd be cool and I'll support it, but it's probably not going to be one of us creating it.
    SonicHearts
    SonicHearts
    Admin

Post by SonicHearts Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:14 am

Maybe someday, once I go to college to study the profession, I'll attempt an intro of sorts... which would be fun.
    Becca-chan
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:57 am

An animation based on the manga would be really cool...but I agree with SonicHearts and Supercomputer, making an animation is no easy feat.
    It's a matter of drawing things frame by frame and making sure that the frames are timed right; the work for it can also take months or even an entire year to do.

And even though I've made animations for GHS before, I'm merely an amateur and I'd say that my animation's are no where near top quality that some of the more proffesional animators are.

Our best bet for an Another World animation, would be if anyone over in Japan obtained the rights to make an anime out of it.
    Nilgiree
    Nilgiree

Post by Nilgiree Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:58 am

I'm back home with my iMac now! So I'm fine with whenever we want to start up the project again. (Not rushing either; I understand that supercomputer has his own things so take your time).

Also, I meant the thought bubble on the first panel of the 3rd page of chap 4 (didn't have the scans with me that time so I just typed that out of memory, sorry xc ), but I guess it was more noticeable than I thought it was.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:34 pm

OK, I think I see what you're talking about. I think that bubble is meant to be extending from the page before, showing Gregory holding Tooru's preserved body in the tank of formulain. It's not obscured at all, I think. Certainly shouldn't affect text insertion, and I don't think it's completely necessary for our readers to see it to tell it's an imagine spot.

To re-iterate, I need both Nilgiree and Becca to verify the localizations for Chapters 3 and 4 if they haven't already. Also still waiting for feedback on using "goals" as a substitute for "ideals." Updated second version of Chapter 3 is uploaded.

Chapter 3 (version 2)
    Chapter 4
    Becca-chan
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:10 pm

I've read both the localization'ed chapters and I think they're just fine, as far as I could see there were no errors there.
    Nilgiree
    Nilgiree

Post by Nilgiree Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Same here, they're good to go ^^ And I see no problem with using 'goals'.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:35 am

At long last, the first version of the translated and localized Chapter 3 is available!

For the record, is it just me, or do the double-page scans usually turn out to be smaller than single-page scans? None of the text on the two-page Lost Doll spread is bigger than 10-point, while most of the dialogue font in the rest of the chapter is around 14-point. Which might pose a problem with Chapter 4 given there's at least three of those, although I'd need to check.
    Becca-chan
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:20 am

supercomputer276 wrote:At long last, the first version of the translated and localized Chapter 3 is available!

For the record, is it just me, or do the double-page scans usually turn out to be smaller than single-page scans? None of the text on the two-page Lost Doll spread is bigger than 10-point, while most of the dialogue font in the rest of the chapter is around 14-point. Which might pose a problem with Chapter 4 given there's at least three of those, although I'd need to check.

That might be down to me ^^; I tried having it so all the pages I scanned were roughly the same size.
    But now I'm thinking that I probably should of had the resolution for double-page scans a bit higher.
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:18 am

With my Flash project approaching completion and being released on October 1st, I can get back to inserting the text for Chapter 4 soon. I'll also look into releasing the Chapter 5 raw at the same time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 am