Welcome to Gregory House

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We hope you'll enjoy your stay... forever...

3 posters

Finding translators!

Becca-chan
    Becca-chan

Finding translators!  Empty Finding translators!

Post by Becca-chan Thu May 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Okay, I think it needs to be said.

Due to the fact that I've only just started to learn Japanese, my knowledge fails me when it comes to some words, especially some of the kanji.

Which is why we need someone with a high level of knowledge of the language, to translate it for us.

So if anyone here knows someone who's really good at Japanese, can you ask them if they could help us out?
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Finding translators!  Empty Re: Finding translators!

Post by supercomputer276 Thu May 26, 2011 9:38 pm

To clarify, Becca is talking about Project Another World, our work at doing a scanlation of the GHS manga. We're working out of the manga's topic in the main GHS board.

Nilgiree told me on DA that he knows a good amount of Japanese and could probably help. I've directed him from DA to his intro topic to the manga topic, so he should be able to help once he sees it. Even so though, we need all the help we can get.
    Nilgiree
    Nilgiree

Post by Nilgiree Fri May 27, 2011 2:53 am

I have almost all of the first chapter translated and a good chunk of the second. It'll help if I get suggestions on some of the phrases so they would sound more in-character and smooth though. There's so many 'Ah' and 'Oh' and 'Eh's is this manga I feel like I'm over-using them ;;;

The text document I have it on looks something like this

Tooru- T
    Real estate agent- R

pg 3
    R: Ok then…
    R: How old are you, and what's your job?
    T: I'm a 22 year old freeter
    R: Yes yes a 22 year old freeter….
    R: Eh
    Box: The old man at the realtor store
    Box: Tohru Takenozuka

The lines are in the same order as the order you read speech bubbles in, and each bubble gets its own line. If the format is too confusing and you would like something specific, please tell me.

Also I was wondering how I should send it. Is this something that should be uploaded on the forums or would you like to have this personally e-mailed?
    supercomputer276
    supercomputer276

Post by supercomputer276 Fri May 27, 2011 3:25 am

I was hoping to put the information in the manga's topic (which is where we're operating the Project out from), but here's as good a place as any, I guess.

First, I have a good idea of the process of scanlating each chapter.

1. Becca scans the chapter and puts it up on the forums. (more or less already done)

2. I assemble the raw chapter scans into a CBR manga format, which I post in the manga's topic. Becca double-checks it to make sure all the pages of that chapter are in there, and when required post re-scans and such.

3. Nilgiree translates the chapter. I was thinking the translations would be posted here or in the manga's topic, although given how many word balloons are in this book which would result in really long posts, send me a PM and I'll give you my e-mail address if that's your preference.

4. I "localize" the translations; basically, modifying them to... better fit the... I have trouble trying to phrase this without sounding like I have absolute power. Basically, I try to make it look like a professional translation. After I'm done, I'll run the localized translation by both Becca and Nilgiree for approval (likely through e-mail).

5. I modify (copies of) the scans (and convert them to JPG while I'm at it), putting the final translations in. After that's done, I create a new CBR file of the translated scans.

After we finish a chapter... I dunno, I was thinking of creating a new topic and putting the final CBRs there. Maybe send it off to MangaFox or something.

As for the format, that looks fine. I should be able to tell which bubble is which easily enough.
    Becca-chan
    Becca-chan

Post by Becca-chan Fri May 27, 2011 7:22 am

@ Nilgiree - You're a lifesaver! Very Happy
    Seriously, your translations will be a big help in this project.

@ supercomputer276 - That sounds good, I could probably help out with the phrasing if the need be.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am